From philosophy, we learn metaphysics deals with first principles of things. This includes abstract concepts such as ‘being,’ ‘knowing,’ ‘substance,’ and ’cause.’ In addition to these concepts metaphysicians are interested in identity, time and space. Any one of these could involve a lifetime of study.
Humanism is a philosophical system of thought that attaches prime importance to human affairs rather than divine or supernatural matters. Humanists stress the potential value and goodness of human beings; they emphasize common human needs, and seek solely rational ways of solving human problems. There is an emphasis on human fulfillment in the natural world. There is a rejection of the idea of God. This latter idea affronts many of the world’s leading religions.
The British define Humanism as the denial of any power or moral value superior to that of humanity; the rejection of religion in favor of a belief in the advancement of humanity by its own efforts and second, the Brits claim humanism is a philosophical position that stresses the autonomy of human reason in contradistinction to the authority of The Church, meaning the Church of England and The Roman Catholic Church.
What then, is metaphysical humanism? Are the two terms, metaphysics and humanism simply married or is there a selection of advocated tenants? There are several strikingly apparent similarities. Among these is the belief there is no God, humans are responsible for their own behavior and solving their own problems through reason. According to Dr. Douglas Kelley, founder of the International Church of Metaphysical Humanism there are nine major principles of belief. These, telescoped as they are, include the following:
1. Do no harm; do right.
2. The power of the human spirit is indomitable.
3. Humans are responsible and capable of solving social problems.
4. We are one planet, one race, one ancestry, one destiny.
5. Recognize the divine energy that exists in all living things.
6. The nature of the human being encompasses both a physical and spiritual aspect and that human consciousness survives the death of the human body.
7. Self-acceptance, self-responsibility, and respect for free will create self-completeness.
8. Empowering the human spirit and enhancing the human condition is accomplished through education in metaphysics, metapsychology, and life skills.
9. The true nature of consciousness and human existentialism will ultimately have a positive impact on human evolution and peaceful coexistence.
It can be assumed that the fourth principle includes the belief that we are one race- the human race. The truth of this principle is well worth a second thought. If the fourth principle, “We are one planet, one race, one ancestry, and one destiny,” came to be, what a wonderful world we would live in.